The first Polish orchestra in Wrocław after World War II was established just after the downfall of the Festung Breslau by musicians coming to settle down in Wrocław from various parts of Poland. In the ruined city, the artists established themselves as an ensemble under the direction of Stefan Syryłło. The rehearsals began in the spring of 1945, and the first concert took place on 29 June 1945, opening solemnly with Chopin’s Polonaise in A major.
On 7 August the orchestra inaugurated the first regular concert season. Top-tier Polish artists were invited to guest perform in Wrocław, and among them Ewa Bandrowska-Turska, Zbigniew Drzewiecki, Henryk Sztompka, Irena Dubiska and Eugenia Umińska. Syryłło announced the orchestra on bills and in formal correspondence as ‘the Philharmonic’ although no one had officially designated the orchestra this way. Yet the orchestra went down in the history of Wrocław concert life as ‘the first Philharmonic’. In the 1946/1947 season Stanisław Skrowaczewski was appointed associate conductor of the Philharmonic.